swang's photos More of swang's photos

www.flickr.com

Friday, December 03, 2004

Doogie Howser M.D.

Was thinking on the drive home from work today about this new blog of mine (this little blog of mine... I'm going to let it shine!!!... think that was a song from my early sunday school days, except I think it was 'This little light of mine, I'm going to let it shine...'), and I remembered that I used to keep an early incarnation of what we now commonly call a blog, or weblog. I kept it in the early nineties, on my cool IBM-compatible XT computer, and it was quite modern for it's time... it had an EGA screen, and I even got a 3.5" floppy disk drive for it, which set me back a cool $250 which for a high school student at that time was a fortune... and to think that nowadays we don't really use 3.5" floppy disks anymore... *sigh*

Anyways, the journal was more like an electronic diary of my day, and was just done in a word processor called WordStar, which was quite good for its day... and gave me professional written assignments printed on my 9 pin dot matrix printer... *sigh* those were the days... and anyways the inspiration for me keeping the journal was the TV series called Doogie Howser M.D. starring Neil Patrick Harris, who was more recently spotted as Carl, the nerdy animal/insect mind-reading scientist of Starship Troopers fame. Doogie kept this journal of his thoughts and insights from the current days happenings on his blue screened 'puter... and thinking about it, it was ironic that my journal was only a few months young when my hard drive crashed and I lost everything, synonymous to the more recent 'blue screens of death' we have been accustomed to.

Well, that ended my journal keeping days of my youth, and I swore I wouldn't keep a journal ever again as I was quite upset about the loss... well... a few nights ago I started to journal my thoughts again and it made me nostalgic about my younger days, which explains this post... I'm sure over the coming weeks/years I'll note down more about my younger nerdy days as I recall them in my current older nerdy years... :P And hopefully I won't lose the contents of this blog anytime soon... hmmm... mental note to self... investigate offline backup options for this blog...

2 Comments:

At 9:21 AM, Blogger ntt said...

Cool post man. Doogie Howser rocked!
If you're Doogie Howser then I must be the annoying friend who was always dropping in with whacky schemes. hehe

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger swang said...

You mean that italian dood called Vinnie DalPino? Heheh... hmmmmmm... that name came too quickly back into my memory... does that make me a closet Doogie Howser MD fan? Doh! Just realised it's no longer in the closet now that I've posted it for the world to see! Aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh! It was a phase I was going through... Honest!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home