swang's photos More of swang's photos

www.flickr.com

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Interesting Revelation...

Was channel surfing last night and came across some foreign film on SBS, which had an interesting bit of dialogue. It was some writer typing away on a laptop, and a friend who has mucking about on the writer's old typewriter and asked the writer about if using the computer was alot easier than using the typewriter.

The writer went on to say that it is easier, however when using the typewriter and putting pen to paper, one tends to put more thought into writing, be more authentic. Which got me thinking... this is rather true especially with my industry, where it is just all too easy to put together some code, try it out, if it doesn't work, change things and retest it, and repeat if neccessary. So forward thinking, pre-planning and design sometimes seem not as important.

So... has working in the computer industry, affected me such that all things that I do tend to be a bit more reckless than others? Where I can just try something, and if that doesn't work, I'll be quick to change some things, try that out for a while, and if that doesn't work, the viscious cycle repeats itself. Perhaps that is why the IT industry has such a high rate of turnover of staff, where careers are not really planned out, and people are just changing jobs like refactoring some code, trying it out, and if it doesn't work out the way they expect, then they change jobs again. I think that kinda describes a bit of my career journey thus far... :)

Go figure... it takes a chance encounter with a scene in a foreign film to understand a bit more about myself. The moral of the story is I suppose that we should be spending more of our lives watch more TV just in case it holds more gems of wisdom such as this... ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home